Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Six Years Later

Six years ago today (September 14) at this very moment we were walking up the aisle in a little white church, holding hands, just married, in a big field in the Alberta prairies. Now, here we are, eons later in northwest Washington playing with our 7 month old daughter and wondering where 6 years went. Time goes a little faster every year, but this last year went by like a fart in the wind. Maybe all of the moving around had that effect on us (?). Now that I think about it, we lived in a lot of different places. Besides living in 3 vastly different places –Sweden, California & Washington- we lived for a week or more in 8 different homes! Eight!!! I didn’t realize it was so many until I tallied them up. Isn’t that ridiculous?! Eight different places. We are vagabonds. Nomads! But not anymore. We’re settled now. Like the roots of oak tree – completely grounded. For a while. I hope.

(anniversary family hike, up way to steep of a mountain)




Well, for those of you who were not at our wedding, you really missed out. It was the most beautiful day there has been. Ever. Warm sun shining, cool breeze blowing. The horizon was dotted with just enough clouds to make you wish you had your camera. Nearly everyone important to us was there, helping us celebrate. It was a great way to start.

A lot happens in six years. It’s a bit overwhelming to try to think about all of those happenings. So many trips to here and there. So many jobs. So many good days and so many bad days. As if it’s not hard enough to remember what you had for lunch yesterday, remembering all that has happened in six years is a great task.

I wonder where we will be and what we can remark on 6 more years from now. Now that's a big question mark! With Ruthie & Barb in my life, I know at the very least, I'll be a happy man.


------------------------------------------------

Ruthie would like to show you something new she has just learned how to do this week!...



-------------------------------------------------


Here are a couple of my recent projects that I have been working on.

For Barb's parents I designed and built an entry door.
It is made from Sapele wood with beveled glass windows.

And, near the front door, I built a cute little porch for them to sit on at their leisure. I anticipate a lot of coffee being sipped and toddlers jumping up and down the steps!


(Door BEFORE)


(Door AFTER)



(Door & Porch)


Recently, I was a featured artist in Bellingham's ArtWalk. Here are couple pictures of my display. (My sideboard and side chairs just returned from a national furniture design competition in Atlanta, Design Emphasis, where I won 1st and 2nd place awards.)


No comments:

Post a Comment