Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mona's Kitchen Remodel


A few months ago, I posted an ad on Craigslist that read something like: "Woodworker available for custom furniture, cabinetry, entry doors, etc. Visit http://gregklassen.com/ to learn more..."
A week later, a nice lady named Mona called me and said, "We are remodeling our kitchen and we're looking for someone who can create cabinets in a style that compliments our home. Are you interested?" Of course I was interested! I've never done anything like this before. I've built cabinets here and there, but nothing of this scope. What a great challenge! I immediately went to the library and checked out all of their books loosely titled "How to build cabinets." I love the library. The library is my Superman cape. What can't you do when you have all those great books there to teach you stuff?!


So, for about 2 1/2 months, starting with a set of simple 2D drawings, I drew all new, detailed plans for the whole kitchen, made cut lists, designed each individual box, drawer, door and pullout. I made a procedural plan, approached the whole project systematically, ordered my stack of lumber and plywood and dove in. The project was a nice, new excuse to buy lots of tools I'd been longing for! Unlike other cabinet shops, I made each and every part of the kitchen, by hand, one piece at a time. That includes the doors and drawers. Most cabinet shops outsource these parts. (Don't ask me how many "spare" doors I have leftover). Because I made them all myself, I was able to control the wood's grain patterns, use single-width boards where possible and so on. Yeah, I know, who cares about any of this besides me?? Well, almost no one. But, the purist in me forced me to do the very best job I could. I'm glad I did. It was a satisfying project and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Here is the house - an old Craftsman in Bellingham.


Here are a few before pictures of the kitchen. Your typical dark brown, run of the mill prefabbed cabinets of the era.











Now, here's the after.



Farmhouse sink, handmade in England. Don't lift this puppy without an extra set of manly hands. I speak from experience.




My nifty idea - a nested drawer above the garbage pullout, for storing garbage bags and the like.




Where it is open above the countertop, there used to be a wall prohibiting light from entering from the living room. We knocked the wall out and added a breakfast bar. Under the breakfast bar was just a drywall half-wall. I replaced it with custom paneling that matches the existing trim in the house - and the doors provide access to the deep corner cabinet on the other side - the perfect spot for board games, don't you think?!








I think the hardware and light fixtures really compliment the Craftsman character of the home.



My other nifty use of a small space. A 4" wide spice pullout door next to oven, providing easy access to your favorite spices when you are cooking!











I wish this Viking gas range was in my house! What a beauty...





10 comments:

  1. Amazing, Greg. I check out your blog every so often -- this is so impressive! I'm happy for you and the fact that you can now add this prestigious item to your resume. Seriously, I'm at a loss for words each time I view one of your creations -- what a gift! (Ruthie, included! :o) What a cutie!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg... those are amazing!!!! I mean, seriously amazing! You are crazy talented. I can't imagine that skill that it took to make those. The design is gorgeous... and so beautiful. How exciting that you were able to take on such a big project! I hope more of these come your way. And I'm sure once people see these pictures... you will have tons of requests.

    Wanna come make us a built in cabinet? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is amazing, Greg! If we ever need cabinets I know who to call!! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again I'm in awe! I had no idea the scope of this project. It was huge and you pulled it off with your usual gusto. I would like to have that kitchen. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite an upgrade, nice work. Did you happen to save the vinyl flooring? I'm thinking of redoing my shed office with something a little easier to clean with a gas blower. DRK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greg, the kitchen looks fantastic! Barb and Ruthie must be so proud of you! :)
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greg, that is absolutely beautiful! You should be very proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, wow! I'm so impressed Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I love everything you did! It is obvious you planned it out very well and carefully! I am jealous....BUT, if I ever get to remodel my kitchen, yours will be my inspiration! 

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! The cabinets look sleek and really functional. I could use this style in my kitchen to reduce clutters. This is really impressive!

    ReplyDelete