Monday, June 22, 2009

Joining the Circus

This weekend I did, in fact, run away and join the circus. Yes, that's how another artist that I met described her and her husband's existence as festival attending artists. They travel around the country, selling their art at outdoor art festivals. This past weekend I participated in the 3-day Edmonds Arts Festival (outside Seattle)- described, on the festival website as showcasing "the work of nearly 240 carefully selected artist exhibitors, offering oils, watercolors, pastels, drawings, mixed media, photography, sculpture, fiber arts, jewelry, glass, metal, pottery/ceramics, toys, collectibles, and furniture. " Most of the artists at the festival skip around the country selling their craft/art at festivals like this one. When the show is over they pack up their art into vans and trailers, like circus animals, and head on to the next show.



In Edmonds, each artist displayed their work under 10x10 white canopies. The artists I talked to each had different expectations from their weekend. Some, more experienced artists, expected to take home $10-15K in sales, while others, had more modest goals, like making enough to pay for their booth fees, travel expenses and hotel stay. I, on the other hand, came just to dip my toes into the water and get a feel for what it was like to do a summer art festival. I'd say I had a good experience. I learned a lot about how to present my work and have some good ideas for changes at my next show.
I applied to 3 shows this summer - Edmonds, the Bellevue ArtsFair and Portland's Art in the Pearl. The two latter shows are considered two of the very best art festivals in the nation. I figured I would just apply to the best shows and it turns out I was accepted into each of them. Each time an artist asked me what shows I was doing next, I would tell them and then they'd do a double take, like "Really?! Wow, I've been trying for 10 years to get into that one." Then, I would feel embarrassed and explain that I was surprised to have been accepted.

I brought a mix of items to the show this weekend, from boxes and Leaf Cutting Boards to coffee tables, Bird Lamps and a Mendo Bench. I received a lot of interest in custom orders and expect to get follow up inquiries this summer. The Leaf Boards were by far my best seller and were popular wedding gifts.

Now it's time to get ready for the Bellevue ArtsFair (http://www.bellevuearts.org/fair/index.htm). I am excited about this show. Here are the vitals for Bellevue:
  • Dates: July 24-26

  • Location: Bellevue, WA (blocks from Microsoft World HQ - $$$ cha-ching!)
  • 350,000 attendees in 3 days (that sounds like absolute mayhem!!)

  • Booth fee: $1000 (gulp)

  • 300+ artists, literally, from around the world
I am hopeful. I think it's going to go well. At the Edmonds show I sold cutting boards, etc. At this show I am going to dive in and just showcase my furniture designs. I think its important to send a strong message that "I'm a furniture maker and this is who I am," rather than trying to be all things to all people. This weekend I dipped my toes in the water, but in just a few weeks, I am going to walk to the edge and dive in. Here's to hoping I can swim!

1 comment:

  1. Oh you can definately swim. I think you can do anything you put your hand and heart to in this field. Liz

    ReplyDelete