Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Congratulations to me




There have been many moments in our history that are noteworthy, newsmaking and memorable. Gandhi's march to the sea, Martin Luther King's "Dream" speech, Barack Obama becoming our first non-white president. Well today is another one of those days. A day that redirected the course of history; a day that fosters hope for the masses. A day to celebrate.

Today marks, for me, one year of being a self-employed furniture maker. There isn't an exclamation point or symbol great enough to follow that line. A big sigh and a pat on my own back is just how I am celebrating today. Oh, and I also bought myself a book online that my furniture has been published in - it's called "Fine Woodworking Design Book Eight: Original Furniture from the World's Finest Craftsman." I really like that last part.

If you Google, "Foolish people who start a business on a shoestring" immediately my picture pops up and you can read how I started my business with very very close to no money at all, after two years of school, without a business plan, without a permanent shop space, and no business contacts to speak of. On top of that, it was my sole responsibility to immediately be supporting my sweet wife and lovely daughter, who stay at home together because that's the way we want it.

So, what did I learn in year one? Put simply: a lot. Here are only a few of the things I learned.


  • A supportive spouse is key above all. Barb supports me wholeheartedly, every day. She is intereseted in my work and encouraging.

  • Gotta have a website. http://gregklassen.com/ It brings credibility and is a sales tool.

  • People talk about having "irons in the fire." I say, fill that fire with every freaking iron you can find. When you are busy, don't sit down and be happy. Rather, market yourself and look for more work so you can stay busy.

People always ask me what sort of stuff I make. Well, here's a list of some of this last year's projects.

  • Kitchen cabinets

  • A conference table (made from recycled Teak desks)

  • Poker chip trays

  • Toys (inspired by Ruthie)

  • Cutting boards

  • Lamps (my Bird Lamp has been a top seller, having success in 5 different galleries!)

  • 2 custom entry doors and a screen door

  • A custom cedar fence and gate

  • 4 benches

  • A breakfast bar

  • A front porch

  • 2 workbenches (for another woodworker)

  • A sweet shoe cabinet for a daycare

  • 7 wall sconces

  • A toy chest (for Granny Best)

And what I am working on now?


  • 2 more custom entry door projects

  • A custom clock

  • Making lots of furniture for upcoming art festivals in Seattle and Portland

  • A custom lamp

  • A built in bookcase

  • Working on a back porch

  • A tree swing

  • And, I am currently a weekly craft vendor at the Bellingham & Fairhaven Farmers Markets, locally. The Market serves as my one day a week storefront, where I can take orders, gauge interest in my work and try out new products.

Recently I was interviewed by a local TV station at the Bellingham Farmers Market.




The Bellingham Farmers Market - Greg Klassen Furniture from ENW with Deb Slater on Vimeo.


It's been a great year. It hasn't been easy, and there have been very low moments where we needed a helping hand to get back up and keep going. In my personal history, this is a really big day. I hope for many more years of living life just the way we have this last year.

Thank you to those of you who have supported me. And, lastly, congratulations to me! (This is where I pat myself on the back and get back to work)

2 comments:

  1. Great post Greg. Way to go, keep it up. And get that knee fixed, it wasn't the same without you on the pitch tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite cherry unquestionably solid board, it may well often be damaged and as
    a result busted (just like forest as well as other outdoor-use timber.

    ) Like several materials, pinus radiata will most likely extremely high any time subjected to endless fluid as well
    as moist if you're not ready. Tremendously, discover color styles or rrrgime having to do with marble certainly planned for kitchen areas, baths, property lobbies, negative side platforms on top of a coffee table and then mirror packages. Then you should for coffee meant for fermentation septic tanks, where a fermentation process is certainly major for how any occasional 'll savor.
    It's a good issue that each cocoa powder gardener in the states comes with them components by nature. It actually is most notably opening incredibly time of a particular event. To get more details on anyone marvelous producer loan aways, yourrrre able to telephone call an advertising give a presentation seller industry experts rubber-stamped mugs.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog: senseo coffee makers reviews - -

    ReplyDelete